Saturday, November 24, 2012

Review: One Day the Movie

I thanked Yavis Hastra! She managed to somehow find the movie I really really really want to watch which is One Day and I couldn't be happier. Truly. I loved the movie. No. I love the movie. Still in love. Will always still be in love.

It starts out with the graduation of Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew and their relationship years after years on St. Swithin's Day, July 15th. My favourite was the year of 1992, 1996, and 2000. Then of course, 1988 will always be my favourite because it was the first day they actually met. It was a joy to watch, especially with Jim Sturgess. He was beyond my mind, because I was thinking of a less charming person when I read it. Who's Emma Morley on my head when I was reading about it? Won't tell!:p

The love and hate relationship Emma and Dexter had, the long letters with pen marks on the behind because the pen is too pushy, the I love you but I just don't like you anymore, the irony of being stuck with someone else when the love of our life was under our noses all along, the waiting, the twenty years of waiting. It defines life. That years after years, everything is going to fall apart yet everything will be alright again. It will be alright. That every fights have their ends and every love, every single one of it will eventually end. In a different way maybe, or it will be the same. It's kinda upsetting and contenting at the same time that David Nichols still put the same end; in the book and the movie. Reading before watching the movie will give you, I don't know, the I-know-what's-coming and having to read the book twice gave me every bits of details there is. The kiss, the smile, the tears, the words and yes, I praise David Nichols for not changing too much. Because I feel like my imagination being lit up by watching the screen.

At the end, I'd give this four and a half stars out of five. It's a frikkin masterpiece. Not to mention Rachel Portman's score. But I have to say though, it's the reading that changes my life. It's the reading that helped me, gave out cues for me, gave out warnings that no matter how disappointing life is, it will be worth-living. 

Screencaps:



Go for a watch. Want a better option? Read-the-frikkin-book.

No comments:

Post a Comment